Monday, May 31, 2010

The Whole Family is Blog Worthy This Week!

I'm behind again on the blog.  Sorry!  But have a seat and relax because this is probably going to be a long one!  I have a lot to tell you.

I'll tell you about Jason first.  I don't blog much about him but I guess he is newsworthy this week.  : )  We are very excited that after 2 years and 9 months Jason is done working third shift and is now on second shift!  Yay!!  I can't tell you how happy I am about this.  He worked seconds a few years ago for a short time and I loved it!  And he liked it too.  It will be a little more challenging when Maleah starts school in the fall, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.  But in the meantime we are going to have a fantastic summer with a Daddy who is awake and rested and not grouchy.  Woo hoo!

Now let's move on to Carissa.  I told you last time that she started walking. What I forgot to tell you was that on the exact same day that she started walking (Saturday, May 15th) she also gave up her bottle.  It was difficult for her because she hated sippy cups so much.  They frustrated her but we finally found one that she really liked.  The seven dollar kind, but oh well.  I shouldn't expect anything less.  She is my daughter after all and we can't help it that we have expensive taste.  The two dollar ones and even the five dollar ones wouldn't work for her.  But the seven dollar ones really did the trick and as soon as I realized that she liked it I went out and bought a few more of them.  Then I threw away every last one of her Dr. Brown's bottles.  They were getting so gross and the vents in them actually looked black and moldy (I know, ewww!).  But no amount of bleaching and scrubbing would make that go away.  No one in their right mind would want to buy them at a rummage sale and so into the trash they went.  And let me just say (actually picture me standing on a mountain top with my arms up screaming this at the top of my lungs) I love not having to wash baby bottles anymore!!  I love it!  I love it!  I love it!!  In other Carissa news, she got another new tooth.  She now has seven (four on top, three on bottom). 

In Maleah news, she has been learning how to ride her bike without training wheels.  I am so proud of her.  She really wants to do it but she is still a little scared too.  She has the balance part down pretty good.  If I let go of her bike she can pedal along just fine without falling over but if she thinks she's going too fast, she stops pedaling.  And then she gets mad because she realizes that I haven't been holding on to her the whole time.  She wants to ride her bike, just very slowly.  Any speed at all causes her to freak out big time.  To say that she is not a risk-taker would be the understatement of the year.  I made her a deal that if she learns to ride her bike really good without the training wheels she can go pick out a brand new bike at Walmart.  She is excited about this because all of her bikes have been hand-me-downs and she has never gotten to pick out a new pink bike, which is what she wants.  I'll keep you posted about whether or not she gets to.

So, onto my news.  I participated in the Tour de Clay County this year and rode my bike 20 miles on Saturday in just over 2 hours.  This was the longest and hardest ride I have ever done.  It was hilly and it was hot.  I rode with my friend Cali who has just started riding.  She did great and didn't complain at all even though her bike seat was loose and we had to stop at Xenia and have it fixed.  In the above picture, I am the one with the pink helmet in the pink striped shirt and Cali is the one next to me with the black shorts and black helmet.  So anyway, I am very proud of both of us that we actually did it and finished.  My Mom did the 10 mile ride and did great.  I am very proud of you too Mom!  My brother is the awesome one though.  He rode 70 miles and probably didn't even break a sweat.  He and Nikki were the organizers of this year's event and that prevented him from getting to do the full ride.  In past years he has done the full ride of 106 miles to each corner of Clay County.  There were several that rode that far this year.  I can't even imagine how they do it.  Here is a picture of me before the race and a picture of my mom as she rolled back into town after her 10 mile ride. 

Last weekend Maleah and Carissa were in the Patriotic Prince and Princess Contest at Louisville.  It was a fundraiser for Shop with a Cop.  It was a little stressful for me because I ordered these adorable matching outfits off of etsy.com for them to wear in it.  The seller promised me that they would be here in plenty of time for the pageant.  I ordered them a month in advance and kept checking back in with her.  Each time she would tell me not to worry they would be here.  Well, guess what?  They weren't here in time!  She overnighted them on Thursday from California and said that FedEx gave her a guarantee that they would be here by 2 p.m. on Friday.  Luckily I was in Evansville shopping on Friday when Jason called me and said "they're still not here, you better start shopping for something else".  So, I was scrambling around for red, white, and blue outfits at the last minute.  I am expecting my money back from that seller on etsy but so far it hasn't happened.  I found some cute tutus at Claire's that I bought.  They were Carissa's size but had a stretchy waistband so I squeezed Maleah into one of them and then just tied more red and blue tulle to it that I found at Hobby Lobby.  It worked.  They both looked cute and had fun I think.   Maleah won Best Smile, Personality Plus, and got a runner-up award.  Everyone that participated got a runner-up award except for the Queen in each age group.  I was proud of her because she actually got a little nervous up there but did great anyway.  Carissa also got a runner-up award and each girl got a goody bag full of stuff and a tiara.  It was fun but I am definitely not a "pageant mom" and there probably won't be anymore in our future.  During intermission Maleah danced with her Das-zle dance class.  She did great and it was a cute performance.  Here are some pics from last Saturday.



This weekend we went to some fun cookouts.  One of them was at Jason's Aunt Loretta and Uncle John's house over by Kell.  It was good to see the Weaver side of his family and there were lots of kids for Maleah to play with.  They had sack races, three-footed races, and played hot potato.  Maleah had a ball.  We missed Melisa, Jonathon, Sawyer, and Daisy though!   On Sunday we had a little cookout at Uncle Craig and Aunt LuAnn's and celebrated their first wedding anniversary.  Maleah and Carissa swam in the pool with their Daddy and some of the guys played wiffle ball. We all had a good time.  Thanks for having us over LuAnn and Craig!  Here are some pictures from the Weaver cookout.



If the rest of the summer is as busy as the past couple of weeks, you're going to have a lot to read about on this blog! 

No comments:

Post a Comment