Thursday, September 30, 2010

Appleknocker 2010

We have had a fabulous week!  Wait til you hear all about it.  You're gonna be wishing you were there and you'll be hungry for french fries..

Saturday was the annual Appleknocker Festival held in Flora every year and we had a great time.  It was an absolutely beee-autiful day and it was perfect for the outdoor activities.  Maleah's Das-zle group danced and she did a terrific job and made me super proud.  She had a fun time and enjoyed herself. 

Carissa had a fun time too.  She enjoyed seeing the petting zoo animals, eating ice cream, seeing the guy on stilts, and watching the dancers with her Grandma Debby, Grandpa David, and Great-Grandma Zelda.  She also enjoyed tasting a french fry she found on the ground (she is fast, that's all I can say about that), digging in the gravel, trying to lose me in the crowd, and constantly asking "Where's Dada?" over and over again. 

I enjoyed watching Maleah dance, seeing a lot of people I hadn't seen in a while, seeing the O'Fallon Madrigal singers perform, and the taco in a bag that I had for lunch.  My least favorite parts were fishing that french fry out of Carissa's mouth and saying "He's at work" five hundred times.  But oh well.  You can't have it all.  She can't help it that she really misses her Dad when he's at work.  He was able to go with us for a hour or so before he had to go to work so that was good.  He had to miss Maleah's performance though but hopefully he'll see the next one!

Maleah loved performing but she also liked getting her face painted, coloring pictures, opening presents, and seeing the petting zoo animals.  I took a couple of videos of her dancing.  I hope I can get them to upload.  We'll see.

I bought some homemade ice cream with hot fudge sauce on it while we were there.  It was delicious!  Carissa thought so too, but then she stuck her whole hand in it, licked her fingers, and wiped most of it down the front of her.  That explains why she is such a mess.  Also, she is saying "cheese" in this picture.  It was so cute to hear her say it and then give her best smile. 

After Appleknocker we took Carissa to Grandma and Grandpa's house and Maleah and I went to Fairfield to the skating rink for our friends' Lane and Luke's birthday party.  It was super fun!  We hadn't skated in several months (our summer was just way too busy!) so I was a little worried that Maleah might be a little nervous about doing it again.  But nope!  We got there and she immediately got her skates on and said "Can I go?" and I said "yep, go".  So she was off and skating like a pro in no time.  There were a lot of five year olds there but I think her and Luke (who was turning six) were the two best skaters in that age group.  I was so proud of her!

We had so much fun at the birthday party that we decided to stay a little while longer.  So we paid for the next session and skated some more.  We had a 30 minute break in between the party and the public skate.  When we came back to skate again they told us that they had hidden coupons all over the building and to look for them.  It was like an Easter egg hunt sort of.  We got lucky and found a coupon for free fries, one for a free pretzel, and one for a free drink!  How awesome was that?  Then later Maleah's number was drawn in a drawing and she won a purse!  It was perfect because I don't think there was a kid there who would've loved that purse any more than her.  The purse looks like a stuffed pink and purple dog but it's a purse.  She immediately (and I mean, immediately) named it Hersheys.  I think her exact quote when handed the dog/purse was "Oh, I love him so much!  I'm going to name him Hersheys!"  I wonder if she had that name stored away in that brain of hers, just waiting for the next stuffed animal to enter her life and need a name of if she just saw it and suddenly "Hersheys" just popped into her head.  I'll have to ask her. 
So we had a great day!!  Sunday was fun too because Jason had the day off.  That hadn't happened in a couple of weeks.  After church we got to celebrate Chloey's 13th birthday with her.  Happy birthday Chloey!  We love you!  We had cake and ice cream at my Mom and Dad's house and it was nice to see everyone and visit.  So after all that, Daddy and Carissa needed a little bit of down time so while they napped, Maleah and I went to my cousin Mason's Junior Football League game.  He is in 5th grade and got to play in the game.  It was fun to see those little guys out there on the field but sitting there freezing our butts off was the not-so-fun part.  We had on jeans, long-sleeved shirts, and jackets and we were frrreeeeezzzzing!!!  Maleah had brought her special "Chloey blanket" (so named because Chloey made it for her when Maleah was born) and covered up with it.  I love fall weather but I don't know if I love sitting on cold metal bleachers in fifty degree, incredibly windy, weather. 

So we had an awesome weekend and then a great week too.  Maleah is loving school more and more.  She is doing great and all of her papers in her backpack say things like "wow!" and "great job".  I'm so proud of her!  She told me today that she is the "smartest kid in her class."  I know I've told you before that she has a pretty big ego.  We're working on that.  (But she is pretty smart!)

On Monday my friend Bethany came over and we crafted all day.  We've been working the last few weeks on cutting fabric on my Cricut and then appliqueing cute shapes and words onto shirts and skirts.  I made Maleah a super cute matching fall skirt and shirt and I put Carissa's name on a hoodie for her and decorated it with cute shapes.  I'll have to take some pics and post them.  I've also been busy making some vintage-style aprons.  Bethany has made some really cute shirts for her little boy too.  We could totally be designers.  If we only knew how to break into the business...  Who knows?  Maybe the right person will read this blog and write us, begging to see our designs.  It could happen.  It could.  Really.

And I am now officially a "columnist."  I have had two columns printed in The Hometown Journal and have had a great response to them.  Thanks everybody for your compliments!

And for the record, I can not get the videos of Maleah dancing to upload for anything.  Sorry. 




No comments:

Post a Comment