Monday, September 6, 2010

I would like to thank the Illinois State Lottery...

Hey everybody!  I hope everyone had a great Labor Day weekend!  We sure did.  We were busy busy.  The retired lady across the street saw me on the driveway this week and said "Boy, you sure are a busy lady.  You are always runnin' and headed somewhere."  I said "Yep.  I'm always goin' somewhere."  It makes my life more fun.  I can't stay home all the time.  It would kill me.  Besides, if I did, what would I write about??

Jason found out on Thursday night that his company was calling for mandatory overtime all weekend.  That translates to he didn't get a day off.  And that translates to our weekend plans had to be altered.  It was such a bummer!  We had planned to go out to dinner on Saturday night with our friends Deb and Paul.  We had a sitter lined out to watch all of our kids and everything. All of the kids were totally psyched about seeing each other and Calli (our beloved babysitter).  We were all a little sad that suddenly Jason had to work so we decided to just stick to our original plans, just minus Jason.  So we went out for dinner anyway without him. 

I felt a little bad about that but it was nice to get out without the kids for a little bit.  I had a great time.  Carissa is incredibly needy during meals and it is really no fun to eat with her.  She herself doesn't eat so she is bored and whines and cries the whole time that we're trying to eat.  We are those people in the restaurant that you really don't want to sit by.  We are that family that is always loud and always has a crying baby.  We are those people that you look at and do one of three things:  a.) you feel really sorry for them because you yourself are a parent and have been there, done that so you give them a real pitiful look or b.)  you are not nor do you ever plan to be a parent and you give them a very dirty look for the fact that they are totally disturbing your nice relaxing evening or c.)  you do plan to be a parent at some point but you know that you will never let your future perfect child ever act like that so you give us a look that indicates that we are unfit parents.  It's interesting.  Maybe I'll write a book about that sometime.

Monday we went to the DuQuoin State Fair and had a lot of fun.  I would like to thank the Illinois State Lottery and the IBEW Local 702 for making it a completely free day.  That's right, folks.  I won the lottery!  One of the first booths we stopped at was the Illinois Lottery Booth.  I bought one $1 scratch-off ticket and I won $25.00.  Woo-hoo!!!  I bought two more tickets and won $2.00.  Woo-hoo again!!  I bought two more tickets and won a free ticket!  I came out of there $23.00 ahead.  Yay me!!  Our lunch, parking, and armbands were free for all union members.  So that rocked!  My Mom and Dad went with me and the girls.  Again, Jason was supposed to have went but had to work.  We had a great time!  On the way home we stopped and ate at Lonestar and the Illinois State Lottery paid for that.  I think I spent about five dollars of my own money that I left the house with that morning.  How cool is that??  I love it. 

Maleah rode a couple of different rides but she loved this big airplane ride so much that she rode it over and over again.  She had a blast.  Carissa was a little less than thrilled about waiting on her sister a lot but she did okay.  Maleah's favorite things at the fair, besides the airplane, was seeing the bears (real brown bears) and the lemonade.  Carissa's favorite things were the lemonade and the Diet Pepsi. 



Friday night we went to the football game here in town.  The team (and the town) remembered Bryce and it was very special.  It's hard for me to write about because it was pretty emotional but here are a few pics.  Smiley was Bryce's nickname, his number was 25, and his little brother Mason is wearing his jersey on the field.  We also found out that Carissa likes to cheer and tried to do everything the cheerleaders did and said "go, go!" about 5,000 times.







We also picked apples at my Mom and Dad's house again.  This time I brought my camera (and only one girl because Maleah was at school).  Here are some of my faves of Carissa during apple pickin' time at Grandma and Grandpa's.













Here is a funny conversation that Maleah and I had this week:
"Mom?  Didn't you tell me once that you don't have to be married to have kids?  Didn't you say that once?  That sometimes people have kids even though they're not married?  How does that work exactly?  Does God watch you to see how good you are with baby dolls when you're a little girl?  Does he chuckle and say I think that girl will be a great mommy one day?  Hmmm?  Does He?"  Then she takes a breath.  I take a deeper breath and then say "Hmm, I don't know.  Maybe He does.  Just not sure."  I completely avoided the question of "how does that work exactly?"  I have a feeling it will come up again.

So, not much else is new with us.  Oh yeah, there is one other little thing.  Last spring, The Hometown Journal asked me to start writing a column for them and I've been playing around with the idea all summer.  Well, I finally decided to do it.  So if you want to hear more about us, buy a subscription to their paper.  I hope I can make it interesting and funny.  I guess we'll see.  I would love to hear feedback on it when it starts and I like a little bit of constructive criticism.  I think.  I guess it depends on how nice you are about it.  Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment