Wednesday, December 8, 2010

My Two Funny Kids

The Christmas Season is upon us.  That is for sure.  It is a busy time of year for us and I feel like I've got a lot to do in the next two weeks.  I like to have a stress-free holiday.  Each year I take on less and less responsibility in December.  I don't want to be all worried about what I need to get done and so stressed out that I can't enjoy the season.  A few years ago I quit sending Christmas cards (did you really miss them?).  I had three reasons for doing so:  1. It took a lot of time. 2.  It stressed me out to get them done on time, and 3.  It was expensive.  I figured it was just one expense for the month of December that I could cut out.  I wish I could cut out the house insurance just as easily but I can't.  (Note to self:  Do not ever buy a house in December again.)  I also sign up for very little (none) extra stuff in December.  I offered to help with Maleah's Halloween and Valentine's parties in her classroom this year, but not the Christmas party.  I don't need to be worrying about planning games for 19 five-year olds right now.  This year I have already baked our Christmas cookies and won't be baking any again this year.  So, the next two weeks are reserved for some last minute shopping for a few small items, wrapping gifts, and just enjoying the season with my family.  I look forward to things like looking at the Christmas lights and singing Christmas carols in the car.  I want the next two weeks to be as stress-free as possible. 

This past week Maleah had her Christmas program at her school.  All of the kindergarten classes performed songs and recited poems.  Maleah did great!  She is a natural in front of an audience and I don't think I have ever seen anyone enjoy her Christmas program more than that girl did.  She loved it!  She smiled, she danced, and just really got into it.  Plus she looked adorable doing it.  But all of the little boys and girls did a good job.  It was a really nice program.  They all sang so well and looked so cute!  It was a lot of fun.  Everyone enjoyed it but Carissa.  Unfortunately, the program was scheduled for the same time as nap time and Little Miss Riss watched about two minutes of it before she conked out on my lap, sound asleep, completely oblivious to the sound of a hundred little voices singing Christmas carols.





On a side note about the Christmas program, there will probably never be a year that Maleah will be in the front row of a Christmas program in her life.  I have some good shots of her friend Erica on the front row and we can all see how pretty her dress is.  But Maleah's pretty dress is hidden back there on the second row (and behind the songbook).  I know not everybody can be in the front row so that's why I told Maleah to offer her teacher 20 bucks for a place in the front.  I don't know if Maleah didn't ask or if the teacher just didn't go for that idea.  Oh well.
In other news, Maleah has been telling me that a certain boy in her class calls her names and is mean to her.  When asked what he calls her, she says that he always calls her slow.  He tells her that she can't run as fast as him.  I am sure this is true.  She is probably slower than him.  No big deal.  But it bugs her.  He is also always trying to get her attention and basically just drives her crazy at school.  Personally, I think he has a crush on her.  I told her that boys don't know what to do when they like a girl so they are sometimes mean and do really dumb stuff because they are terrible communicators.  We talked about different ways to handle the problem and what she could say back to him.  This is a recent conversation between the two of them:
Boy:  "You're so slow!"
Maleah:  "My legs might be slower but my mind is faster!"
Hahahaha!!!  I love it!  That's my girl!  He probably had no idea what to say back to her.  I asked her what he said and I think she said that he just walked off.  It's been a few days ago and so far, no other complaints about this certain boy.  There are lots of boys in her classroom and some of them are very nice and she talks very highly of some of them.  She even told me that one boy in the class was smarter than she was.  Whoa!  All year she has been telling me that she is the smartest one.  Unfortunately, the girls are way outnumbered in her class.  She has some really nice girls in there with her but for some reason she talks more about the boys.

In Carissa news, she is getting another tooth in and then I think she will be done for awhile.  She now has all of the ones in front in.  I am relieved about that.  It hurts to get teeth in and I'm glad that she's going to have a little break from that.  She is still fascinated with the Christmas tree and we are currently missing several ornaments.  I have found two of them inside some Christmas votive holders.  The other day I said to her "Are you my buddy?"  She said "no" in a very matter of fact voice.  Later that day when we went to the store I told her that she could be my helper, she said "no" again in the same voice.  No is her favorite word right now.  Another example:
Carissa:  "Baa-uhl?"  (She's looking for her sippy cup.)
Me:  "Is it in the living room?"
Carissa:  "No."
Me:  "Is it in your room?"
Carissa:  "No."
Me:  "Is it in the kitchen?"
Carissa:  "No."
Me: "Did you actually look in any of these places?"
Carissa:  "No."
The cup was later found in her bedroom.  And for the record, she can say "yeah" so it's not like she doesn't know how to answer correctly.  She won't say "yes" but she will say "yeah" and can use it correctly.  She is just stuck on "no" right now.  Oh well.  She's so cute that it doesn't really matter.

It's hard to believe that Christmas is only two and a half weeks away!  I hope that you guys are all having a wonderful Christmas season!!

No comments:

Post a Comment