Thursday, March 17, 2011

We Are Trained Professionals

We have had a fun day around here!  It was busy and fast-paced but fun.  Hang on to your seats because it's gonna be a fast ride...

Jason and I have been needing to go to Fairview Heights to buy the girls' birthday presents.  We needed to go to Toys R Us for sure and a few other stores.  We settled on today being the day for the big trip.  The only problem was that he had to be back at home by 2 p.m. to leave for work.  The other snag was that Maleah got out of school early today (1:30).  I asked my Mom to pick her up for me and we left Carissa with my Aunt Patty for the day.  Isn't that neat that I left her with Aunt Patty on St. Patrick's Day?  Haha.  Anyway, Jason and I left Flora at 8:40. 

He drove and I slept.  We got to Fairview Heights at 10:15.  We went straight to Toys R Us.  We picked up a few small items and the main item.  The main thing we were after was an addition to the outdoor playset that they already have.  It makes the bottom area between the swings and the slide into a clubhouse like the one on the top.  Anyway, I had a coupon for it and got it for half price.  It was worth the drive.  While we were in the store, we ended up in the checkout lane behind an employee of the store who was buying one Cadbury Egg.  She told us to go ahead of her.  We said no, no, we have a bunch of stuff, blah, blah, blah.  She insisted we go ahead.  After listening to one incoherent sentence I was sure that she was on drugs.  So we went ahead.  We stood next to her for probably 10 or 15 minutes because the people ahead of us took a few minutes, then they rang us up and had to go in the back to get a box, then I had two coupons but she didn't see one so I had to write a second check and tear up the first one.  This druggie lady was probably in her late thirties, early forties.  She had on way too much makeup and she spoke like she had an iv of morphine in her arm.  I gave her the benefit of the doubt for a minute and thought maybe she had a neurological disease that slurred her speech.  If she did the disease also impaired her ability to put two thoughts together.  She spoke to Jason more than me and we both were in disbelief.  Where was her manager?  Why does she keep talking to us??  Our cashier told her twice to go to a different line where there was no waiting but she insisted on waiting behind us.  Obviously she didn't want to go back to work.  The store had only been open for 30 minutes at that point.  I don't think she should have been on a break.  Wow.  That was all I could think.  That lady could barely hold her head up let alone assist customers or whatever her job was.  We finally left and Jason got in the truck, looked at me, and said "Heroin kills."  I said "Exactly."

Okay, so we left that store at 10:55.  Next we went to the mall because I had a few things to get there.  In order for Jason to get to work on time we had to leave town at 12:00.  So we had an hour and ten minutes to eat and shop.  We got to the mall at 11:00.  I told Jason I would need 20 to 30 minutes.  He left and went to Lowe's to buy some spindles to use as legs for the awesome new table that he is building me for my new sewing room.  First I went to Children's Place and bought Maleah a pair of pants, Carissa two new pairs of jeans, and two t-shirts.  I left there and went straight to J.C. Penney's.  They have a Sephora in there and that's where I buy my makeup.  I went in, got exactly what I needed, and went to pay.  I had a nice but rather-too-chatty-under-the-circumstances cashier.  Left there and went straight to Charlotte Russo.  I tried on three things and bought a cute zebra print cropped cardigan and two pink camis (buy one get one half off).  I called Jason on the cellie and he was pulling back into the mall parking lot as I was walking out.  It was perfect timing and the actual time was 11:27. 

Okay, so we left the mall and still needed to eat.  We decided to go to Red Lobster and hope for the best.  They're usually pretty quick if you get there early.  Plus we always order the same lunch special and I think it's pretty quick to make.  We had a great meal and left there at 12:05 (I think).  Anyway, we hit the interstate and were home by 1:50. 

I picked up Maleah and Carissa and Jason left for work.  Then, I started on my to-do list for the night.  I spray painted the aforementioned spindles.  That took several coats and quite a while.  Then I had to give Maleah a bath because she played in the yard and dug in the garden while I painted.  Then I went to Walmart to get stuff for the goody bags for Maleah's upcoming birthday party.  Then I took her to Girl Scouts.  Then I sat in the parking lot waiting for her leader to show up.  Then the husband of the leader came and said the leader wasn't coming (she's a repeat offender and that equals no Girl Scouts for us next year).  Then I went home and went on a short walk with my Mom and Maleah and Carissa.  And then I cooked supper and cleaned the old sewing room.

I soon discovered that my vacuum just wouldn't pick up the multitude of thread that was on the floor in that room.  So then I got my lint roller and rolled the whole room.  I picked up 12,687,994,345 threads.  I fed the kids.  I cleaned the kitchen.  Loaded and unloaded the dishwasher.  Then I cleaned the new sewing room and organized some boxes and made room for Jason to move my cutting table and my bookshelf in tomorrow, along with the new table.  Somewhere in there I took a break and checked my facebook.  Deep breath. 

Then I went and checked on the spindles and gave them one more coat.  Then I sat at the table and put together goody bags for the party.  Then I put Carissa to bed and had a 30 minute phone conversation.  And then I made (or tried to make) these pom-poms made out of tissue paper to use as party decorations.  They are supposed to look like this: 

Mine didn't turn out quite like that.  They are close but still need some work.  If I use them I'll post pictures later.  And then I finally sat down and started writing out my day because even I was amazed at all I had gotten accomplished.  I do a lot most days but not usually all of that.  I kept Maleah up until ten o'clock tonight and am keeping my fingers crossed that she will sleep until at least 9.  I don't have to worry about her sister as much.  As long as the house is quiet she will sleep in but if Maleah is awake and turns the tv on, Carissa will be awake shortly after. 

But please remember, Jason and I are professionals.  I am a professional shopper.  He is a professional driver.  This should not be tried if you do not have proper training.  I have trained for years and would not anyone to get hurt by trying to repeat my shopping excursion. 

3 comments:

  1. You wore me out just thinking of how you must have practically ran through the mall to accomplish what you did in so short a time. I am definitely not a professional and I bow to you in awe...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the girls had great birthdays!! Miss you all!!

    ReplyDelete