Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Ta-Daaa! My new sewing room is finished...

Hi guys.  I know I mentioned in a previous post that I was in the middle of turning our family room into my new sewing room.  It's been finished for a while now but I finally took some pictures of it to share.  It turned out super cute and functional too (which is almost as important as cute).

Previously my sewing room had been in an extra bedroom.  It was cramped in there to say the least.  I had a big sewing table, a big cutting table, fabric rack, and a bookshelf in there.  There were also several chairs and an ironing board.  The problem was that it was cluttered and unorganized because I just didn't have enough storage for all of my stuff.  Meanwhile, we had a family room full of toys that nobody ever really played with and nobody ever really went in there.  There was a couch, a recliner, a toy box, some of Jason's stuff, and a whole bunch of miscellaneous stuff.  It finally dawned on me (after ten years of living here) that I should make the big family room my sewing room.  Duh!  So I did.  It was a lot of work, let me tell ya.

I started by clearing out the family room.  A lot of stuff got pitched (shh, don't tell Maleah), some stuff got moved to other rooms, and I sold all of the furniture.  I owe a big thank you to Bethany Kuhlig and Jessica Holloway because they came and helped me empty that room when I was down and out with my bruised tailbone from my skating "incident".  Another thank you goes out to Craig and LuAnn Cooper because they came and helped Jason move out the big gun cabinet that was in there and LuAnn helped me organize some stuff. 

After the room was empty, we got new carpet.  The room suddenly looked five times bigger and cleaner.  Next I made new curtains and bought new blinds.  The last thing to leave the room were Jason's big ol' deer heads that were hanging all over that room.  (They had to go.  I couldn't sew with those guys staring at me all day.)  Then came the big day when I finally moved in.  Jason wasn't as enthusiastic as I was but he had to do a lot of heavy lifting so I'll cut him some slack.  The house became a total wreck because a lot of stuff had to be moved into the living room while space was made in the room where it was going.  It's funny how when you start a "simple little home project" it suddenly turns into this big ol' monster job.  It was a little overwhelming that we had so much stuff to move! 

Craig came over again and helped move the cutting table (an old drafting table that weighs a ton) and the gun cabinet again to its final resting place.  Jason has sworn that he is never moving that thing again.  He now has his own room for it and all of his hunting clothes, etc.  (He has a lot of stuff too.  Don't let him convince you that I have more than him.) 

During this time Jason built me an amazingly awesome new sewing table.  I love love love it!  He did a great job and it is very sturdy.  So everything got moved in and then I hung stuff on the walls and got organized.  I am so happy that all of my scrapbooking stuff is in one place, all of my quilting patterns are together, my fabric is organized, my wrapping paper and bags are organized, etc.  I have a "station" for everything and I am thrilled!! 
My camera was lost during the move so I didn't get any "before" pictures but here are some "after" pictures.


This is my newest addition to the room.  I found her at a yard sale for 10 bucks and then recovered
her and dressed her in one of my aprons that I made. 
 I've wanted a dress form forever!

My curtains and ironing area.

My awesome new sewing table that Jason made me, with a few of my favorite things sitting on it.


It's all about the storage and organization!

My cutting table that I love so much...

Fabric and pattern storage.

Maleah's corner - her own sewing table and Hello Kitty
sewing machine.


Don't you just love the zebra-striped theme too?  It's just so me.  I love this room.  It makes me very happy.  It was a lot of work but it was so worth it.  Jason's happier too because he has his stuff all stored in the same room now too (the old sewing room is now called "Daddy's Room") and the kids haven't missed having that old family room one bit.  It couldn't have worked out any better!  I've already finished lots of projects in my new room and can't wait to do more!

No comments:

Post a Comment