Thursday, August 19, 2010

Maleah's First Day of Kindergarten

Well, she loved it!  She absolutely loves Kindergarten.  Here are some pictures of her yesterday morning before she left for school.  Yes, that is the same tie that she wore last year on the first day of pre-k.  She wanted to wear it again this year.  I agreed.  She thinks it's stylish.  I agreed.  The skirt is one size bigger than last year's and the shirt is two sizes bigger than last year's.  She has grown a bunch!


Very excited about Kindergarten


Ready for Kindergarten


Maleah on her first day of pre-k last year.

Today was her first full day and I couldn't wait to hear all about it when I picked her up.  The first thing she said to me was "Can I bring my lunch tomorrow?"  I said "Yes, why?  Was your lunch not very good?"  And she said "It was terrible.  Horrible.  I liked my peas and my fruit but not the nachos and cheese."  That's fine with me if she brings her lunch.  If she doesn't eat she turns into mean/whiny/sick/grouchy Maleah.  I'm sure her teacher would prefer that she ate as well.  We bought her a very cute Hello Kitty lunch bag a few weeks ago, along with a cute thermos that she can't wait to use.  (Did you guys know she has a thing for cups and thermoses?  She prefers a new cup to a new toy.)  Last night I read to her the lunch menu for the rest of the week.  Today's choices were Nachos and Cheese or Chicken Patty.  Okay, first of all, what is up with that?  Nachos and Cheese?  Really?  That is now an entree?  Now I know why there is an childhood obesity problem in the United States.  Well, she hates chicken patties but she thought Nachos and Cheese would be great for lunch.  She has never had that for lunch before in her life and was probably thinking "Cool.  I can eat chips for lunch!"  Not that the meals I fix around here are always the healthiest but I have yet to feed her chips and processed cheese for any meal. 

So that was the first thing we talked about after I picked her up.  The second thing she asked me was "What does Google mean?"  Maybe they talked about computers, I don't know.  She said they didn't have to take a nap but they did have a rest time after lunch.  She said that they have art on Thursdays.  She said one of the teachers, not her own but one somewhere else, was really mean.  She's glad that lady isn't her teacher because she yells.  Hmmm.  I wonder what her definition of "yells" is?  I doubt there was some teacher in there screaming at a bunch of Kindergarteners on their first day.

She's a little upset with me because I won't let her keep flossers in her bookbag.  You know, those teeth-flossing thingies that have little plastic handles on them?  She loves them.  She can be a lot like her Grandma Debby.  They both like to floss.  Hanging out at the dentist office with Grandma has instilled that in her I guess. She's a little obsessive about keeping her teeth healthy.  I'm glad that she likes to take care of her teeth; I hope she always does.  But I don't think flossing at school is necessary.  I just don't. 

It will be interesting to see what tomorrow brings.  I hope she always loves school as much as she does today.  It can happen right?  Yeah, you're probably right, she is mine and Jason's child.  Fat chance.  Oh well, with God all things are possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment