Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Oh, the bright side...

I like to try to find the bright side of things.  Most of the time there is a bright side to every bad situation (not all, but most).  So this week I have had the stomach flu.  The really really bad stomach flu that nobody wants the details of.  That one.  I thought I was going to die.  I didn't and for that I am thankful.  But what on earth could the bright side of that be?  I'm guessing that I lost right around 3 or 4 pounds in 2 days.  That, my friends, is the bright side.  Since I don't actually own any scales, it's hard to say for sure, but that's a pretty close guesstimate.  I had been up a few pounds for the past month and although the flu wasn't the way I had planned to get back down, it worked!  So, I will be headed to my Weight Watchers meeting tomorrow to double-check my own guess.  If I can find the bright side to the flu, surely you can find a bright side to something too!

Other than that, everything around here has been going great!  The girls are doing good.  And, fingers crossed, they won't be getting the flu anytime soon.  Carissa has really been doing a lot of growing lately.  She suddenly looks and acts more like a 2 year old than a one year old.  She is talking so much, repeating everything.  I understand almost everything she says.  Every one else understands probably about half of what she says.  But she tries and that makes me happy.  She is really into Dora all of the sudden.  Dora makes her laugh out loud.  She giggles every time she see that big football-shaped head. Tonight, Maleah gave her the big, soft, fleece Dora blanket that Grandma Debby and Grandpa David had given her several years ago.  It was a touching moment.  I was very proud of Maleah for doing it because if any of you know Maleah very well, you know that Maleah treasures her blankets.  They are her friends.  But the Dora blanket had been tucked away with some other, less-often used, blankets in the family room, and I put the idea into Maleah's head that if she ever came across that blanket that she might want to let her sister "borrow" it because Carissa was really into Dora right now.  Maleah immediately said "I know right where it is!" (not a big surprise at all) and "She doesn't have to borrow it, she can just have it.  I have lots of other blankets." (Also not a big surprise because this is all how I planned it.  I so know how to work it.  Had I have told her to give Carissa the Dora blanket or had I have asked her to give it to her, the answer would have probably been no.  I am not an evil genius, just a genius.  Thank you very much.)

So, thanks to Dora, I now have several Christmas ideas for Miss Riss, where as before, I had none.  So that will be fun.  I once I had so much Dora in the house that I really couldn't imagine having to buy some more.  But apparently I sold it all at rummage sales because all I can track down is one Dora doll and the Dora blanket, along with the DVDs.  Since Carissa is pretty low on the totem pole, she hardly ever gets to pick what we watch on tv.  But the DVDs are coming in handy for the car, because she has her own screen she can watch her little Spanish friend the whole time I am driving around.  She loves it.  Even if she won't leave the headphones on and can't hear a word of it.

Now, Maleah, on the other hand, is just convinced that Carissa gets loads of tv time.  She thinks that Carissa gets to stay home all day with me and watch Dora all day long.  So not true.  I tried to explain to Maleah that Carissa watches one Dora episode in the morning, one in the afternoon.  She is so not buying it.  In her most defiant and slightly whiny voice she said "I know Carissa gets to watch tv all the time and I never get to!  All I want to watch is Arthur and I can't because it's always what you want to watch! And it's not fair!"  To which I replied "No, she doesn't.  Yes, you do.  No, it isn't.  And yes, it is.  Get used to it."  For the record, I dvr Arthur for her every day and she is always caught up on her Arthur schedule.  I like Arthur and I love that at least she is quiet for 30 minutes a day.  Like I'm really going to pass on that opportunity?  I don't think so!

On a side note, I think my parents would love to remedy this problem by buying each of the girls their own tv for their own room.  For the record, I don't believe in televisions in bedrooms, they know this, so they haven't yet done that.  Jason and I don't even have a tv in our room.  We are a one-tv-kind-of-a-family. I think I have finally convinced them of this though.  You might be wondering what the big deal is?  I am often asked about this and I just see it as your bedroom should be a place of relaxation and little distraction.  My girls would never fall asleep if they had a tv.  Also, I am too controlling to let them have their own tv at the tender ages of 5 and 1.  They are too little to be trusted.  I say who, I say what... I say who!  Okay, that was a little bit of a Pretty Woman quote.  But do you get the point?  I determine how much tv they watch and what they watch.  There is honestly very few things on tv these days that I find appropriate for them.  On a side note of my side note, there is very little on the radio that is appropriate for them these days.  Yes, I know there are family channels, Disney channels, and kids channels on XM (which is what we have in the car) but I can not deal with that all of the time.  I like all types of music and can't stick with one station for very long.  This is why Maleah knows the lyrics to some country, some gospel, a little Lady GaGa (yikes!), and a lot of 80's music.  This week I've been stuck on XM 10, the Roadhouse.  It is all really old country music from the 50s, 60s, and 70s.  I thought it would be a pretty safe bet and not any risque lyrics.  I was wrong.  I turned it as soon as I realized that I was singing "Tell me now why do you drink?  Why do you roll smoke...  So if I get stoned and sing all night long, it's a family tradition!"  I turned the channel.  Nothing was said.  Thank goodness I wasn't asked what any of that meant.  Thanks a lot Hank!  No wonder your rowdy friends don't come over any more!  They all have kids that they don't want to grow up into druggies!

In other news this week, Maleah won a 5 pound Hershey's candy bar from the Flora IGA.  It was very exciting!  It was a costume contest open to anybody that showed up at Flora's IGA in their halloween contest.  Only four people did.  I think they would have had a great turnout if they would have had it on trick-or-treat night but they didn't.  Oh well.  Of the three other contestants, only one was any competition numbers-wise.  They were all very cute though.  The pictures were displayed on facebook and whoever got the most "likes" won the contest.  There was a cute little girl dressed up as a monkey that was getting quite a few likes.  Maleah was determined that the monkey was not going to win and that she herself was going to win.  There was not a doubt in her mind.  When I told her that she may not win, she said "Oh, don't worry.  I will."  I was only trying to prepare her for the worst.  But it didn't matter because our friends and family rallied around us and she ended up winning.  It was pretty exciting for her to hear me read all of the comments that our facebook friends (and even some strangers) were making.  Our little Elvis has a lot of fans out there!  Here is a picture of her picking up her candy bar.  I wish she would've been looking at the camera instead of me.  Oh well.  A big thanks goes out to everybody that voted for her!  You really made her day!  She kept saying "Hershey's is my favorite!  This is my dream come true!"  And for years now she has said "I dream in chocolate!" (in a real sing-song voice).  She even has that saying in Uppercase Living next to her bed.  It is so true.  She is a real 100% choco-holic.  It is in her blood, from both sides of the family.  She didn't stand a chance against the love of chocolate. 


I hope you all have a great week!  I know we will.  We have five pounds of chocolate to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment