Monday, January 9, 2012

Monday Night (December 9)

Silas is still doing about the same as earlier today (see today's first post).  The nurse said this afternoon that he was "feisty" and "adorable."  I love that combination.  She said he was doing good on the vent and was digesting his food pretty good.  She said that they had taken a sample of some secretions around his vent to the lab to check for infection.  They would let it set for a couple of days and see if anything grew.  Other than that there really wasn't much else to report.

Then this evening, somehow I missed a call from the doctor on my cell phone.  I had been cleaning house tonight and trying to get everything in order so that I can leave to go back to St. Louis in the morning.  Our friend Calli came over to help me and it must have been while she was vacuuming.   Anyway, when I saw I had a missed call from the nicu I panicked and called them right back.  The doctor said everything was fine but that she had just called me to say that the lab had already contacted them to let them know that some bacteria was already growing from the sample of the secretions.  So, that is a bummer.  They are starting him on antibiotics and told me not to worry.  She said almost every baby that has a ventilator ends up on antibiotics.  She made it sound like it was an everyday thing and that the medicine would take care of it.  So, I am not freaking out.  But please pray that this infection does not turn into a big deal and that it goes away.  Quickly.  The doctor said that Silas does not act sick and that all of his vital signs and everything else look great. 

In Carissa news:  she only complained twice today about her leg and she is walking fine.  Also, Calli taught her to say "whew!" and wipe her brow after she does something tiring.  So tonight after she walked up the basement steps, she said "Whew!" and wiped her brow as if she had just ran a marathon.

In Maleah news:  She has had two little warts pop up on her hand, in between her thumb and forefinger, over the past few weeks.  We bought some Freeze Away tonight at Walmart to treat them.  Oh.  My.  Gosh.  Talk about drama!  We had to hold the stuff on there for ten seconds.  She screamed bloody murder and cried as if we were cutting off her fingers.  I felt really bad for her but it had to be done.  Calli helped and was the one that held it on there.  Good thing there were two of us because I don't think I could have done it by myself.  So she had a very painful 10 seconds and that was it.  Whew!  I think I wiped my brow when that was done.

No comments:

Post a Comment