Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Wednesday (January 4)

My big boy is up to 2 pounds 5 ounces!!  How about that?  Pretty cool, huh?  I was worried that he wouldn't gain weight this week since they were withholding feedings due to treating the pda (if you didn't read the last update, go back and read that one and it explains pda).  The nurses explained that he still gets all of the calories and other things he needs to grow in his iv but still... I was worried.  It didn't matter at all and he still gained weight!  That's the good news.

The other news is that the darn pda is still open even after the last treatment.  His heart murmur is still very loud.  A decision will be made tomorrow about what to do about it.  In the meantime, they are still withholding food.  Before the treatment his pda was considered "large."  After the last echocardiogram they are classifying it as "small to moderate."  I am anxious to hear what the plan is for that thing to finally close. 

Other than that, there's nothing new going on with him.  Tonight I helped give him a bath, change his diaper, and took his temperature.  The nurse changed his sheets and weighed him.  And then after that, I held him for a long time.  He was super comfy, all snuggled into my chest and tucked into my tank top.  They call this a "kangaroo hold" and he loves it.  We snuggle and visit while we sit there.  I love holding him and smelling his little head.  But eventually he had to go back in his bed, mainly because I was about to pee my pants and I desperately needed to pump breastmilk.  Holding him like that triggers my body to make loads of milk.  So, he went back to his bed and he was MAD!!!  He didn't want to go back and he cried and even once let out a pretty good little scream that reminded me all too much of Maleah.  His heart rate shot up and it took the nurse and I several minutes to calm him down.  So it looks like he has a bit of a temper...

I am staying in his room tonight instead of at the Ronald McDonald House.  Because I am here alone this time, I figure it will be easier to just stay here.  There is a nice long couch that folds into a bed and a recliner.  Down the hall is a parent's lounge that has a shower, laundry facilities, kitchen, etc.  So really, I'm all set.  Plus this way, my Mom doesn't have to worry about me walking to my car all alone in the dark parking garage in the middle of this big city.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update. I will say a prayer and believe that the pda will be much better tomorrow! So glad he is gaining weight. I'm sure Maleah will have a huge smile when you tell her about him having a scream that sounds like hers. ha. Take care and I agree with your mom....stay out of those dark garages when you are by yourself. :) Plus, don't be driving when there is black ice all over the interstate either. heehee, you know what I mean! Talk to you soon! Tina

    ReplyDelete