Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tuesday Morning Update

Silas is doing great.  He is the sweetest little thing.  He tries to cry but no sound comes out.  His forehead gets all wrinkly and looks like Carissa's does when she cries.  But for the most part he seems pretty comfortable.  He looks snug as a bug in his isolette.  He stretches out and gets all cozy.  I think Maleah would say that he was "chillaxin." 

I changed his diaper last night and as soon as the old diaper came off he peed all over.  I had to laugh and told him that I had already been warned that little boys would do that.  The nurse and I cleaned him up and put a clean diaper on him.  I also took his temperature and it was fine.  I love that the nurses let me be so hands-on. 

He has been on a ventilator since birth.  It has made it easier and less stressful for him to breathe but it hasn't been necessary because it seems as if he doesn't have to have it.  Does that make sense?  He also has an oxygen setting that controls how much O2 he is getting.  From what I understand, most babies born at his gestational age (25 weeks) require lots of oxygen.  On his first day he was using 25% oxygen or less.  You and I breathe 21% oxygen in the air, so you can see that he was requiring very little over what we breathe.  He has now been weaned off of even that much extra and is breathing the same amount of oxygen as us.  Right now they are re-evaluating him and are considering taking the ventilator out today.  They don't think he needs it.  Even if they decide to leave it in, I don't think he will have it much longer.  This is wonderful news!

So far he hasn't ate anything.  He is getting all of his nutrients through iv fluids.  They will be putting in a feeding tube today or tomorrow.  He will begin getting drops of my pumped breast milk through that.  They will also be putting in a pic line under his skin for his iv's.  Right now they are all hooked up through his belly button but they will change that and he will be more comfortable.  I will also be able to hold him after that is moved.  So far, I haven't gotten to hold him and am very anxious to do so.  He definitely knows my voice though and starts moving and getting excited when I talk to him.  He raises his eyebrows a lot when I talk as if he really wants to open his eyes.  I am not sure when to expect his eyes to open but maybe he will soon because he acts as if he wants to.

His vital signs are all very good.  His bilirubin levels did go up last night and he is now under a bili light for jaundice.  I was not surprised.  I thought he looked as if he was a little jaundiced.  That is actually something I am familiar with since both of the girls had that and were under lights for a while.  It's normal for preemies to deal with that and it's normal for my Mini Coopers.  No big surprise there.

I am doing great.  I will be released on Thursday.  I have a great room, super comfy bed, two tv's, a couch, and wonderful nurses and doctors.  Thank you all for your prayers, support, calls, etc.  I am behind on my messages and voicemails and I am so sorry!  I will try to get caught up today.  A special big thank you to my parents who have been taking care of Maleah and Carissa through all of this.  I have the best family and friends in the whole world!

No comments:

Post a Comment