Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Tuesday (February 28)

Today was a big day for Silas.  He had another ultrasound of his brain and one of his hips.  These are tests that all nicu babies get.  Everything looked a-okay with both tests and there is no need to retest again.  We are so blessed that he did not have a brain bleed at any point - so many 25 weekers do.  His hips looked great too and there were no problems there.

The eye doctor came and saw him today too.  He technically wasn't supposed to see him until next week but there is a good chance that Silas won't be here next week so they moved up the appointment to this week.  The eye doctor came in, took a look at his eyes, looked at me and said "And he was a 25 weeker?"  I answered "yes." He said "Well, he has done remarkably well.  Unbelievable really.  Almost all 25 weekers have problems and he doesn't."  He went on to say that he doesn't need to see Silas again but that if I ever notice a problem in the future that he would be more than happy to have him as a patient but that most likely I won't need to bring him back.  And that, my friends, is the power of prayer.  Our little man wouldn't have done near as well without all of your prayers.  Thank you.

Tomorrow he is going to be fitted in his carseat.  They have a carseat technician come into the room and put him in his carseat, adjust the straps, and make sure it fits him properly.  He will also have to pass a carseat challenge before he goes home.  He will have to sit in his carseat, in the room, for two and a half hours and make sure that he does fine.  Most babies' carseat challenge only lasts 45 minutes but Silas has a longer ride home, therefore he has to be challenged longer.  He won't do that part tomorrow though, but soon.

Dr. Schwartz told us last weekend that Silas may get to come home this weekend.  The doctors are now trying to decide whether to send him home with oxygen this weekend or wait a little while longer and try to send him home without oxygen.  They are doing a blood gas test in the morning that will indicate how much longer Silas may need the oxygen.  If it indicates quite a while longer then I think they will send him home with it.  If it indicates that he may not need it much longer then I think he will stay until he can come home without it.  If I have to bring him home with it, that's okay but if I don't, that's even better.  The downside to bringing him home with it is that then he will become the patient of a pulmonologist here at the hospital and that will require lots of follow-up appointments and it just seems like it could turn into a long drawn-out affair.  I would like it to be cut and dry - he's home and that's that.  But obviously, I don't always get what I want.

In the meantime, Silas is doing great with his feedings.  He took all of every one of his bottles today except two - which is really good.  I also breastfed him this evening and he ate like a champ then too.  The nurses are all really happy with how well he is doing with his feedings.

The only bad news I have is that my nose is running - again.  I was fine until I got to this hospital but it didn't take long after I got here for it to start running.  I feel fine but I have this crazy runny nose and if it's not runny, it's stuffy.  Ugggh.  I really think I am allergic to something in here.  When I go downstairs I feel so much better!  I bought some Claritin tonight and am hoping that helps.  Praying that I'm not really sick and won't give this to Silas.  There's been so much going on with him that I feel like I need to be here to talk to all of the doctors so I haven't went home.  Hoping that I have made the right decision.  Please pray that I am not getting sick again!

Silas is now 11 weeks old, or gestationally he is now a 36 weeker and is still 4 weeks away from his due date. 

No comments:

Post a Comment